Sunday, April 5, 2009

Passover feast




Now, I'm not Jewish, but Matzo's definitely hold a special place in my heart.  Ever since I was a little girl I knew when Passover was because my Mom would always make me Matzo's slathered with butter and honey.  She inherited this tradition from my Grandmother who grew up in the Bronx in the 30s and had many Jewish friends later in life when she moved to the Philippines, she befriended the large community of German and Austrian Jews who escaped to the Philippines during WWII.  As I was relishing a bite of this delicious treat the other day I realized it has become something of a tradition among the women of our family to eat this (kind of an unusual snack for a typical Filipino-American family), it is interesting what we pass down to our children and what links us with the past.  It is nice to think even this small thing will someday connect Emma with her Great-Grandma Geraldine.  If you haven't tried this combination before you should pick up a box and try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment